Saturday, November 13, 2010

"How Well We Communicate Is Determined Not By How Well We Say Things But How Well We Are Understood...Andrew S. Grove

"SUPERWOMAN"

"Superwoman". How many women do we know that have earned and are deserving of this title, "Superwoman". I attended a Domestic Violence Awareness Breakfast recently and the video "Superwoman" by Alicia Keyes was playing. After watching the video, I started thinking about the impact this massive enormous title has and the implications that are attached to it.

I was raised by a "Superwoman". At times, when I am drowning in my pool of self pity, I often reflect back to those days of growing up. I marvel and wonder how the hell did she keep food on the table, pay tuition for me to attend a private school, afford clothing and all the other necessities and luxuries that I so often took for granted (a trip to Europe). I know dozens of women that are honorably and equally deserving of that title, "Superwoman". After hearing it said, I started to question why are so many of our women deserving of this title. Why are there so many women placed in the position to be named Superwoman. The connotation of this title has a double fold. In my mind, I envision someone that is relentless by a fault, honorable, her character is beyond reproach and she has unquestionable perseverance. The other side of this are the women who embody the endless struggles that are heaped and burdened upon them. I resent that I have to go out and make the bacon, bring home the bacon, fry it up on in a pan, and serve it up on the plate.

I want so desperately to shed this cold metal armour of courageousness, of invincibility, and steadfastness. I want to be what God has created me to be, a Woman. I want to assume my role and position as a nurturer, a mother, a wife, a caregiver, a sister, a granddaughter, a friend, a lover, an inspiration, an unshakable and unmovable fixture in the lives of all that I love, cherish and hold dear and close to my heart. I want to be vulnerable, sensitive to your needs, compassionate, empathic, and sympathetic. Allow me to assist you in your journey called Life, for I am made of a rib from your side. I am the vessel that has brought forth the miracle of life.

Today, I take back my position and my God given role as a Woman. Women join me with the conviction and determination to regain our true identities. I am Woman made of Man hear my cry.

Peace and Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment