Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"It's hard for young players to see the big picture. They just see three or four years down the road."....By Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Are Women Capable of Raising Boys to be Strong, Vibrant, and Reliable Men?

Boy, how poignant and profound. I have raised one male child who is now 22 years old. I currently have a 14 year old son. As a parent, I constantly reiterate the importance of an education, respect for adults and self respect. When I am no longer here, one of the things that I hope my boys, as well as my daughters, will remember is my saying that the choice you make today can effect your tomorrow. This point seems to be more difficult for boys to comprehend and internalize. Their sense of invincibility is insurmountable. I believe that women can teach and show our view points from a woman's perspective of what we think a man should be but the core lessons of being a man can only be articulated and demonstrated by a man. I realize that we have some very successful men that have been raised by single women but they are the exception to the rule.

I once used the analogy of a horse with blinders on and their only sense of direction and lead comes from the rider. I went on to say that my sons' funneled and narrowed vision of their future makes it difficult for them to appreciate the vastness of their potential, greatness and destiny. In our earnest efforts to raise strong, vibrant, and reliable young men, it is hard to instill the values of hard and honest work, integrity, and the fact that a man is judged by his actions and not by his words. There is a fine line women have to walk when disciplining boys to ensure that their spirits aren't broken and there is no built up hostility or resentment as a result of the discipline. Women don't allow our spirit of hurt and pain of yesterday hinder the growth of our sons' future. If there are fathers in your sons' lives and he is a good father, permit that relationship between father and son to flourish. Do women have the vital ingredients and foundation to raise a boy to evolve, mature and to possess the qualities that consist of steel, concrete, sensitivity, humility, integrity, honesty, and discernment?

"Bu idling to Last Forever"

"When a high-rise building goes up in my home city of Atlanta, Georgia, I think about the structure people cannot see. Underground is a grid of steel and concrete giving strength to all the floors stacked overhead. Just like a skyscraper, we need a firm foundation upon which to erect a life with enduring purpose. March 21st, 2009....In Touch Ministries
Peace and Blessings,


Tracey ReNissa

No comments:

Post a Comment